Reports to: The Psychotherapist
Location: Lilongwe CoE ‘s Prototype Sites
The counsellor will be responsible for respecting the Integrity and Promotion of the client’s welfare by ensuring the provision of quality psychosocial counselling services to clients in HIV care within Lighthouse
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Conduct psychosocial assessments and provide group/family and individual counselling services to clients accessing services at Lighthouse supported health centres and making referrals where necessary
- Facilitate group sessions in basic counselling skills under the supervision of the psychotherapist.
- Keep confidential records of all counselling sessions as well as accurate records of all activities performed
- Provide intake assessment for all adolescents enrolled in teen clubs
- Assist Adolescents enrolled in teen clubs to develop a plan for the future and enable and support them in practical as well as emotional/psycho-social ways to implement their plan.
- Support the formation and management of age appropriate psychosocial support groups (Teen clubs, adult support groups) in close collaboration with health care providers and expert clients Writing of daily, weekly reports on clients progress and submit weekly reports to team leader during weekly departmental meetings.
- Compiling accurate weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly departmental statistics and timely submission to the M & E office.
- Ensure that records are kept in a secure location and that only authorised persons have access to records.
- Under the direction of the psychotherapist and other counsellors, initiate, plan and facilitate new programs to clients and the community.
- Work hand in hand with other departments of Lighthouse in areas of counselling need.
- Plan, implement and evaluate psychosocial counselling programmes
- Working with other team members to provide education and counselling to clients on psychosocial issues affecting HIV care and treatment outcomes.
- Conduct intimate partner violence counselling sessions to clients accessing services at Lighthouse supported facilities and their significant others
- Support the implementation of HTS services (VAPN, Index testing, EID, etc.) in the management of emerging psychosocial issues
- Develop technical reports on specific cases identified during the individual, group and family psychosocial support sessions.
- Closely monitor and document the psychosocial progress of cases referred by the case workers and other collaborating stakeholders.
- Provision of individualized and goal directed care to clients with psychosocial issues affecting adherence and retentions services in HIV care.
- Ensure that all operations are within the professional standards and legal framework and comply with stipulated national and international practice guidelines
- Be a member of Multi-Dimensional Team Meetings for the department where you are allocated.
- Conduct regular case review with members of the MDT and other case managers and provide psychological support to cases referred by the team in line with case plan objectives.
- Conduct home visits and follow-ups of clients upon need.
- Taking part in program evaluation and development of activities to maintain a high quality of service consistent with best practices.
- Refer cases and liaise with the district social welfare office and other providers of psychosocial support.
- Provide PSS and Intensive adherence counselling for clients failing on second line
- Carry out review of individual goals for each client undergoing counselling services in the department.
- Undertakes other duties as directed by the Psychotherapist or designated other.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and Other Personal Attributes
- Minimum of a Diploma in Psychosocial Counselling from a recognized institution.
- At least three years of experience in the field of psychosocial counselling.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent listening and communication skills.
- Good time management skills
- Able to maintain confidentiality
Eligible internal candidates meeting the required qualifications and experience should send their applications with cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), copies of certificates, names, addresses and telephone numbers of three traceable referees.
Applications should be received not later than 19th August 2022 to the following address:
The Executive Director
Kamuzu Central Hospital
P O BOX 106
Only those shortlisted candidates will be communicated.